top of page


J-1 Student and Job Exchange

J-1 Student and Job Exchange Programs

The J-1 visa is designed to provide educational and cultural exchange programs, and to promote the sharing of knowledge, skills and education in the arts and sciences. This visa enables people to participate in exchange programs in the US. ​

J-1 visa holders include students, trainees involved in on-the-job training, visiting scholars and researchers, and consultants.​

As a J-1 visa applicant, you must prove that you:

  • are a professor or research scholar, trainee or intern, college or university student, teacher, nonacademic specialist, foreign physician, camp counselor, au pair or summer student in a travel/work program.

  • intend only a temporary stay in the US.

  • will have sufficient funds to stay in the US.

  • intend to return to your home country after the visit.

  • have been approved for a stay a J-1 program recognized by USCIS.

Trainee programs are generally limited to a maximum of 18 months except for programs in agriculture, hotel and tourism which are generally limited to a maximum of 12 months. The J-1’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old may apply for entry in J-2 status and may be eligible for employment authorization. Certain J-1 exchange visitors must return to their home country for two years at the end of their program before they can apply for another non-immigrant or immigrant status.​​


What Are My Next Steps?

This process can be, and often is, complicated. The immigration attorneys at Antonini & Cohen can help simplify the process by determining the visa category that is right for you and assisting you with your application or change of status from your current category to a new category.

In appropriate cases, we can also obtain legal status and work authorization for your dependent family members. 

Let Us Help You Navigate Your Immigration Journey




We Are Here 
for You

The content of this website is intended to convey general information and not to provide legal opinions or advice.

It is not intended to serve as legal advice.

bottom of page