top of page

How can I get permission to work in the US?

The Immigration Law attorneys at Antonini & Cohen can help you determine whether you are eligible for work authorization. If you are eligible, we can guide you through the application process. To schedule a consultation today, call 404-523-8141

Certain individuals who are in the United States temporarily can apply for work authorization. Many of our clients qualify for work authorization under the following applications, programs or policies:

1. Cancellation of removal for certain non-permanent residents An individual in removal proceedings, meaning he or she is required to appear before an immigration judge, may be eligible to apply for cancellation of removal as a form of relief from removal. Once the application is filed with the court, the client may apply for work authorization with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If approved, the individual will receive work authorization for one year. Work authorization can be renewed while the individual is still in removal proceedings.

2. U-visa An individual whose U-visa application is approved is (usually) automatically eligible for work authorization. A principal U-visa recipient will usually receive work authorization for the duration of the U-visa, which is typically four years. See our blog, “I was the victim of a crime. Do I qualify for a U-visa?” to determine if you are eligible to apply for a U-visa.

3. DACA Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is a program that allows qualified individuals to remain in the US temporarily despite the fact that they have no immigration status. Individuals receiving DACA are eligible for work authorization. In addition to the $380 filing fee required for most work authorization applications, DACA applicants must pay an additional $85 biometrics fee.

4. Final order of deportation An individual with a final order of deportation may be eligible to apply for work authorization if he or she has been placed on an Order of Supervision by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). This typically happens when: